It’s the time of year when we look forward to fresh starts and new beginnings. The new year is a great time to make personal resolutions – eat healthier, exercise more, read more books. Our homes deserve a little attention too. As the place for peace and serenity, family gatherings, and a significant contributor to net worth, taking good care of our homes makes good sense.
Here are five house resolutions to consider for 2019.
- Start with the basics – Your furnace, air conditioner, water heater should be checked annually. Regular care will ensure that they are operating efficiently and extend their life. Enter a calendar tickler to replace the furnace air filter every 2 to 3 months.
- Clean out your basement – Okay, I know this doesn’t sound like fun right now. But trust me. You’re going to love it! Do you have old kids’ clothing and toys? Decorations from the 80s? Books and paperwork from your college days? Roll up your sleeves and tackle them. Create 3 piles: Keep (and organize), donate, and toss. The last one is the most fun.
- Refresh paint – Select one room and give it color refresh. Introducing new colors is a low cost – high impact way to reinvigorate life into a room. But be careful. You’ll want to be new art and furniture before you know it to match your lovely walls.
- Light it up – Shed new light on the subject with a fun new dining room chandelier. Or perhaps a new bathroom fixture will brighten up your morning routine.
- Dress up landscaping – Rip out your old over-grown bushes and plant new appropriately sized shrubs. Take a field trip to the local garden center and enjoy the beautiful selection of options to bring home. The color, scents, and outdoors will stimulate your senses.
- Bonus – Treat yourself to a massage after doing all that hard work! You’ll feel great about your house and your body will love you for the massage!
Regular care and minor updates every year will maintain your home’s value and enhance your enjoyment. Happy New Year!